The Hampshire Seat of King George IV as Prince
of Wales (later, Prince Regent), 1788 to 1795

Home      1 Notes: Kempshott Park
                                                              H.C.         Hampshire Chronicle         
                                                              H.R.O.      Hampshire Record Office
                                                              R.A.          Royal Archives
                                                              R.L.          Royal Library 
 1     H.R.O. 55 M 67 T 179, Bargain & Sale, Morely to Crooke, 1788.
 2     H.R.O. 55 M67/T177, Lease and Release Morely to Crooke, 1788; H.C., 854, 2 Feb. 1789;  
        H.C., 858, 2 March 1789.
 3     H.C., 854, 2 Feb. 1789. Selling existing contents and purchasing new upon taking another
        residence was usual at this time; H.R.O. 55 M 67 T178, Release, Morely to Crooke, 1788. The
        house and all other erections & buildings on the Kempshott Estate were indemnified from damage
        or loss by fire by the Phoenix Office, Lombard St., London, for £9,530.  Policy No. 26175;
        RA GEO/MAIN/35347, Crooke to ? Lord Cholmondeley, 26 August 1797.  Hallingbury
        Place is also written as Hallingsborough Place on a covering slip of paper.  It is in a
        hand other than Crooke's, suggesting that this was added later.
 4     H.R.O. 55 M67/T171-2, Conveyance, Dehany to Morely, 1787; H.R.O. 55 M67/T175, Dehany to
        Morley, 1787, specifies the acreage; H.R.O. 55 M67/T177-8, Lease & Release, Morely to Crooke,
        1788; Winchester Cathedral, memorial plaque situated on the wall of the North
        Nave Aisle, Tenth Bay.  Morely died on 22 Feb. 1798, aged 55. His son, Charles, was with the
        East India Co. for 37 years, 17 of which were as Accountant General of India.
 5    RA GEO/MAIN/35331-2, Lawyer's bills to the Prince of Wales, Dec. 1789 - July 1791.
       A detailed list is given of work undertaken over several months together with the
       associated legal fees; 
       RA GEO/MAIN/35342, Memo, Lord Cholmondeley to the Clerks of the House of
       Commons, 21 Oct. 1795.
 6    H.R.O. 55 M67 T154 a & b, Fine, Lee & Burleton, 1771; H.R.O. 55 M67 T149, Will of Henry Pincke, 
       22 Jan. 1770; H.R.O. 55 M67 T161-2, Mortgage, Burleton & Dehany, 1773; The Topographer, I,
       April 1789, p.30, and III, June 1789, p.170; 'Aesop', Sporting Reminiscences of Hampshire, From
       1745 to 1862, (1864), pp.10, 24. Other members of the Cricketing Committee were Thomas
       Ridge, master of the Hampshire Hunt and the Rev. Charles Powlett, the H.H. poet.
 7    RA GEO/MAIN/35331-2, op.cit. This confirms that the Prince leased Kempshott House
       and the newly created Park, the lease being '(very long) with Special Coven[an]ts'.
       The Kempshott lease remains undiscovered; G.F. Prosser, Select Views of Hampshire, (1833), refers
       to Kempshott having a 'park-like'appearance, suggesting that this was not a dramatic re-
       landscaping. From inception to completion the work was in progress for an unknown period
       between July 1788 and ending no later than Dec. 1789; 
       J. Geddes, The Prince of Wales at The Grange, Northington, An Inventory of 1795, Journal of the
       Furniture History Society, XXII (1986), pp. 176-207.  Details are provided of the Prince's lease to
       nearby Northington Grange.
 8    C. Hibbert, George IV Prince of Wales, (1972), p.231; H.M. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of
       English Architects 1660-1840, (1952), pp.489-90; R. Strong (ed.), The Destruction of the Country
       House, (1974), p.111.
 9    H.R.O. 8 M61/248, Copy of Winslade & Kempshott Tithe Apportionment Map, 16 Sept. 1839;
       H.R.O. 44 M69 G1/152, Deposition, 1805, concerns an incident at the Kempshott turnpike gate,
       also establishing its location; The Census for 1841 states that the turnpike gate was manned by a
       a husband and wife team; E.W. Brayley & J. Britton, A Topographical and Historical Description of
       the County of Hants, (1805), pp.272-4, includes a contemporary description of nearby Hackwood
       Park; H.R.O. 55 M67 T180-1, Conveyance, Crooke to Blunt, 1832, includes Kempshott Estate plan.
10   H.R.O. 10 M57/SP368, Kempshott Sale Particulars, George Robins, Auctioneer, 3 June 1830, lists
       acreages, appurtenances etc. surrounding Kempshott House;  H.R.O. 55 M67/T175, op.cit., lists
       appurtenances;  H.R.O. 55 M67/T171, Conveyance by Lease & Release, Dehany to Morley, 1787,
       lists closes by name only, with no individual acreages given. Only the two closes mentioned
       retained their names by 1830. (The conveyance from Morley to Crooke, 1788, is almost
11    H.C., 856, 16 Feb. 1789.
12   H.R.O. 1 M44/109/1, Lord Wallingford to his sister, Lady Amelia Knollis, n.d., ? 1788.
13   H.R.O. 1 M44/108/14, Lord Wallingford to another sister, Lady  ?  Knollis, 6 June 1788.
14   H.R.O. 21 M57/C22/44, Letter to the Archbishop of Castel, Ireland, sender unknown, 12 Nov. 1788.
15   H.R.O. 1 M44/103/22, Lord Wallingford to his sister, Lady Emily Knollis, at Winchester, 26 Dec. 1788.
16   RA GEO/MAIN/35331-2, op.cit.
17   Ibid. This refers only to a farm and is assumed to be Southwood, the only major farm on 
       the estate. The much smaller farm adjoining the demesne, the home farm, possibly known as
       Kennel Gate Farm, could be the farm to which reference is made. The lengthy negotiations and
       the high legal fees for preparing the lease counter this.  A presumption is made, therefore, that this
       farm was included in the Kempshott lease, its main function doubtless being to supply Kempshott
       House.  Any surviving lease (or copy) remains undiscovered; 
       H.R.O. 12 M49/A83/14, Lease to Southwood Farm (14 years), 28 Aug. 1815, Crooke to Downs. 
       The terms of the Prince's lease were likely to have been similar; 
       H.R.O. 55 M67 T178, Release. The recipient's name is indecipherable;
       RA GEO/MAIN/35350, Thomas Terry to ? Samuel Hulse, 9 Dec. 1796, refers to 'Farmer Goodman';
       H.R.O. 1810A/33, Will of Henry Goodman of Southwood Farm, 22 July 1802.  He is described as
       'Gentleman' suggesting his eventual elevation from tenant farmer to leaseholder of the
       Southwood Estate, although his leaseholder successors, David Downs in 1815, and Stephen Dicker
       in 1839, were described as yeomen (OED: yeoman = a status just below that of gentleman).  
       Probate  for Goodman was granted on 2 March 1810.  His wife was Ann (nee May) and his estate
       was valued at less than £450.  With Downs having been granted a lease in 1815, Goodman, most
       likely, had been the preceding leaseholder prior to his demise (any surviving lease or copy remains
       undiscovered), responsibility for the farm doubtless having reverted to John Crooke for the interim,
       perhaps with Downs having been appointed as tenant farmer preceding his leaseholder status.
       The 1841 Census portrays a Southwood yeoman's household. Dicker had 6 recorded servants -
       not necessarily working exclusively within the household, some of these duties possibly being
       undertaken by the family. His servants were: 1 female, 15 yrs., 3 males, 15, 18, & 20 yrs., and
       2 brothers, 10 & 12 yrs - possibly being apprenticed from the parish needy.  Stephen Dicker was 
       35 yrs, Elizabeth, his wife, was 40 yrs, with 3 daughters aged 4, 12, &13 yrs, and 2 sons aged 8 &
       10 yrs.  (NOTE: A modern printed summary from the 1841 Census incorrectly reads 'Dukes' for
      Dicker, and 'Kampher House' for Kempshott House. The author is referring this to the
18    RA GEO/MAIN/35337-8, op.cit.   There is reference to the 'profit of the farm'.
19    H.R.O. 12 M49/A83/14, op.cit. The farm's rent in 1815 was £350 p.a., and payable quarterly on the
        feast days of saints.
20    RA GEO/MAIN/35331-2, op.cit.
21    H.R.O., Scheduled Buildings List for Basingstoke Rural District, p.22. Southwood
        Farmhouse is Grade III.
22   H.R.O. 55 M67/T171, op.cit. 
23   H.R.O. 55 M67/T36, Conveyance of Lands, Terry to Blunt, 1832. This establishes the location;   
       RA GEO/MAIN/35333, Draft Lease, Thomas Terry to the Prince of Wales, n.d. [c.1791 ?].
24   R.L. 29634, Kempshott House Elevation; R.L. 29636, Plan of the Principal Storey;
       M. Girouard, Life in the English Country House, (1978), p.158, comments on the folded wing
Copyright (c) 2013 Christopher Golding